The Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) once said to his Companions: “Would you like to stand in rank just the same as the angels stand in rank before their Lord?”
The Companions asked: “How do the angels stand in rank?”
The Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) replied: “They fill the first rank and they observe extreme care in standing in the rank.” [Muslim, Salaat]
The proper way to stand in rank during congregational prayers is to:
1. Stand shoulder to shoulder.
2. Leave no gaps in between.
3. Complete one rank before forming another.
4. If another Muslim tries to move you to fix your position, take it positively.
5. Don’t stand apart from the ranks of the worshippers to pray separately.